Saturday, March 26, 2011

Wiz Khalifa - Rolling Papers

Wiz Khalifa. What more can I say? He's made it, or has he?

Ever since the release of the chart-topping unofficial Pittsburgh Anthem and what most would call his breakthrough single (and also the first official single off his new album), 'Black and Yellow', Wiz has had high expectations.

When the 23 year old announced the release date for his new album, 'Rolling Papers', his already large fan base grew and anticipation was certainly high. 

After a slew of highly successful singles like 'Roll Up', 'The Race' and 'No Sleep', you definitely weren't alone if you had a strong feel of excitement. I know I was.

However (and I say that with a strong and legitimate feeling of disappointment), when I got my hands on the album and listened to what Wiz had to say, I felt letdown. I didn't feel like I gained anything from listening to the album.

The first words of the opening track, 'When I'm Gone', are "And they say all I rap about is bitches and champagne, you would to if every night you seeing the same thing" At what point do those particular topics get, dare I say, boring? After hearing these words I thought I was going to listen to an album that ultimately proved the haters wrong, but I was wrong. Instead I heard a bit about his bitches and a bit about his money, mixed in with a bit about his weed. Then again, that is the image Wiz Khalifa has created for himself. He's young, fly and confident. Who doesn't like that?

The album isn't a complete flop though. It's just, the best songs on the album were all released as singles and the rest of the album just falls short. It features only three other rappers, those being Too $hort, Currensy and Chevy Woods. The production team includes the likes of E. Dan mostly, but there is a strong contribution from Big Jerm, Benny Blanco, Pop Wansel, Jim Jonsin and of course Stargate, the guys who brought us 'Black and Yellow' and Wiz's other recent singles.

I hope my review of 'Rolling Papers' was informative, be sure to tell us what you think about it once you get your hands on it.

Keep it banging.
Luke

0 comments:

AddThis